For June’s National Telehealth Resource Center Webinar last week Dr. Stuart Speedie of gpTRAC presented on the topic of Telehealth Futures.
According to Dr. Speedie, the guiding principle that will shape the future of telehealth is that healthcare and the healthcare delivery system are largely concerned with the exchange of information. So how can telehealth services improve information exchange? Dr. Speedie sees five distinct possibilities:
1. Through Specialty Care Delivery– including elaborate videoconferencing based telehealth.
2. By investing in mHealth– including healthcare mobile apps, devices, and solutions.
3. By exploring options for In Place Care– including home monitoring, nursing home settings, and schools.
4. Through Care in the Work Place.
5. By focusing on Consumer Wellness– including physical, mental, social, and spiritual health promotion.
The futures of telehealth depend largely on staying relevant as new modes of information exchange are developed and the focus of healthcare delivery continues to shift and evolve. At the core of each of these futures however is the uniting fact that a career in telehealth will always be a career in information exchange and healthcare delivery. To access Dr. Speedie’s full presentation and other previous webinars, visit the gpTRAC webinar archive, or you can download Dr. Speedie’s presentation directly here.