Great Plains Telehealth Resource & Assistance Center
10 Tips in Writing Grant Applications
- Define your project before you search for grant opportunities.
- Develop a project plan, including potential partners. Review and revise your plan regularly.
- Identify possible funding opportunities; sign up for newsletters and subscriptions for grant listings.
- Research past grant awards to determine the number awarded and amount; this will help show how competitive the application is. Also review successful applications if possible.
- Review application and guidance instructions in detail.
- Plan the implementation of your project fully, and match it to the funder’s goals.
- Contact the funder with questions and clarifications (if permitted).
- Communicate deadlines to all participating partners; allow flexibility in your timeline as plans or partners shift. Start early!
- Tell your story. Use maps, graphs, charts and statistics to support your request for funds.
- Prepare for successful implementation of your project once it is funded.